"" Grandma Agnes' Attic: On the First Day of Christmas.....

Sunday, December 14, 2014

On the First Day of Christmas.....

We have started a new tradition this year revolving around the 12 days leading up to Christmas and helping others. You can see the original post here.

Our first day of Christmas fell on Saturday December 13th and consisted of helping our community. On Friday night I ended up with a bunch of high school kids at my house and decided to put them up to a challenge. We all went to the local Wal-Mart and filled shoe boxes for our local Meals-on-Wheels. They are called We-Care packages and are delivered to Meals-on-wheels recipients on birthdays and during Christmas time. They are filled with pens, stationary, slippers, socks, reading glasses, shampoos and such. I had printed a suggested list and gave it to the kids.

So a group of girls and a group of boys set out with a plastic shoe box and a list of what should be included in the box. First of all, I am surprised that they didn't get kicked out of the store. They were loud and running all over the store. They were having fun with it though, The girls were hiding items that the boys hadn't found yet, and the boys were running by sneaking items like large bags of cat food into the girls cart. I was standing at the front of the store waiting for them so I could purchase it all, and I could hear them through most of the store. They were laughing and running, telling others in their group to hurry up.

It took them about 30 minutes to do all their shopping, and I think they had some fun. It was a different experience that they were able to bond over. They tried to make it into a contest to see who could make the better box, but I think the recipients are the winners in the end, both boxes turned out great.

The boxes also should include a card, and I did put a picture of the kids shopping on the card to give it a personal touch. I signed all the kids first names so they knew that they were from a bunch of high school kids. It doesn't matter your age, all people with an open heart can give freely, and this is what I was trying to get across in their cards. Not everybody enjoys high school aged kids, they see them as disrespectful and obnoxious, but not these kids. These seven kids made a difference in two people lives on a Friday night in December. I am proud of them for wanting to do this challenge. My two kids knew it was coming at some point, but the others jumped right in without even blinking when I asked them.



FYI, this was also kind of a first date for my oldest son. The girls in the picture are my daughter, the girl my son is interested in and her friend. Very nontraditional first date, but one I am sure she will never forget!

To read more about our 12 Days {Leading up to} Christmas, click here!


I am sharing this post with all of these lovely bloggers.

No comments:

Post a Comment