"" Grandma Agnes' Attic: Craft Room Makeover {Finally}

Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Craft Room Makeover {Finally}

We have officially been in our new house for two years and four months now. Landscaping projects have pretty much been completed, the inside has been painted, garage and shed are even getting organized. So I figure it is about time for me to start working on the craft room!

There was a workshop in the basement already when we moved in, so I have just been piling my craft supplies on those cupboards and shelves. I want to start quilting again, and in order to do that, I need to be able to get to my fabrics. They have been in giant boxes for the past two years, and I miss them.

So one section at a time, we (my husband) are tearing out the shotty workmanship and replacing it with something better to fit my needs. Well this past weekend we tackled the first corner of the room, the fabric storage area. I started by ripping out an old shelving unit that was held together with old nails and square head screws. None of the boards matched and I am surprised that it never fell off the wall before. Hubby had an old lateral file cabinet at his office that he was no longer using. I had seen fabric storage in lateral file cabinets and was planning on copying that idea. But for above the cabinet it needed more fabric storage.

My kids are finally at the age where they can use "real" sized hangers for all their clothes in the closet, so I have an abundance of kid sized hangers. Lets put those to work in a different job capacity. Hubby installed three closet rods in between the wall and new wall cupboard that he installed. There is also a new base cabinet too! I spent two nights unpacking six rubbermaid containers of cotton fabric and hanging them onto kiddo hangers. The older boy came to see what I was doing and helped me organize them by color and he is tall enough to reach the top bar without a step stool.

So here is the start, and I am very happy with it. There will be a counter top coming once we decide if it will be just that one base cabinet, or if we are going the rest of the way around the room with it. The base cabinet right now holds batting, quilt tops that are complete and giant baggies of fabric that I have already collected to make a quilt with. The wall cupboard holds polar fleece that will someday be a pieced blanket too. And the lateral file cabinet holds patterned cotton fabric. I wanted to only see the fabric that was one color in my eye, so that was the only fabric that was hung on the hangers.

Because the fabric hung n the hangers is at least one yard or more, I need to also figure out how to store (or display) the smaller pieces and fat quarters that I somehow seem to keep collecting.

When taking these pictures, one thing crossed my mind:

What somebody who doesn't quilt would say about this: "Wow, that's
alot of fabric."

What a quilter would say: "Wow, you need more orange."

I will keep sharing pictures as the craft room comes along. Hoping to also share the new quilt tops that I will be sewing soon too! What are your fabric storage solutions? Share in the comments so we can all learn some nifty fabric storage tricks.


 I am sharing this post with all of these lovely bloggers.

4 comments:

  1. So inspired - I need to clean my craft closet - it's jammed! I do appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a great idea and it looks fantastic!! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great storage for fabric. Pinned. Linda Crafts a la Mode

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your idea for storing fabric...so much better than having in boxes. I like the idea of being able to look at all the patters at a glance. Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop! I hope you’ll join us again next week!

    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick
    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete