"" Grandma Agnes' Attic: Fairwell to My Favorite Pan

Friday, March 28, 2014

Fairwell to My Favorite Pan

This posting is a little farewell to my favorite pan in my kitchen, my chicken fryer. Why does this require a post you are probably asking, because this little pan has a story.

I received this pan as a wedding present in September 1995. I received it from my parents friends Tom & Rita Marie. Now you are probably asking how I would remember that from almost 20 years ago. Well, I was only 25 when I got married, and I thought it was a very strange gift. Who would give somebody one pan? About a year later I realized how smart they were, I was too young to know I needed such a great pan.

I seriously use this one pan at least 3-4 times a week. I get angry when it is dirty and I need it to make dinner. Or late at night when I want to make stove-top popcorn and it is still dirty from dinner. It is my favorite spaghetti pot, great for quick hamburger helper dinners, and even for actually frying chicken in.

As you can see, this little pan has seen better days. I know the coating is coming off and probably slowly poisoning us which is why I had to do what I did last night. I had some Kohl's cash that was due to expire, and rather than buying the kids something they really didn't need, I spent it on an investment in the family. I bought a new chicken fryer pan. I have been looking at them for years, but never pulled the trigger to purchase one. Well as of last night, I now have a new one, which is the reason for my story.

I am actually sad to see this pan leave the house. I have had this pan longer than I have had all three of my children! When I ask the kids to fry some hamburger before I get home from work, I always tell them to "use the green pan" and everybody knows what I mean. I know it's kind of silly to have so many memories about a pan, but I do. I am sure the new pan will serve my family just fine, but it will feel weird for awhile.

Well that is end of my story, thanks to listening to it. Leave a comment below if you have a similar situation with an object in your home. I know I can't be the only one out there...right?


I am sharing this post with all of these lovely bloggers.




3 comments:

  1. What a great tribute to your "favorite pan" , and a good read knowing the history of it. Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop! I hope you’ll join us again next week!

    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick
    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet story. Tom and Rita would be touched that the pan they gave you became such a sweet part of your life. Thanks for sharing at Inspire Us Thursday on Organized 31.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for linking up and sharing on Mostly Homemade Mondays! We're so glad you joined us, and look forward to seeing what you link up next week :)

    Kelli @ The Sustainable Couple
    www.thesustainablecouple.com

    ReplyDelete