"" Grandma Agnes' Attic: Craft Hoarders Unite! Easy Stash Project for this Weekend

Friday, February 7, 2014

Craft Hoarders Unite! Easy Stash Project for this Weekend

Have you ever watched the A&E show Hoarders? I would DVR that show every week and watch it Saturday mornings to gross myself out and then go clean my whole house. Now I am not as extreme as some of those on the show, but if you ask hubby, my crafting hoard is exactly that bad.

I have never turned down free fabric, pretty buttons, scrapbooking supplies or anything that looks like I can make it into something else. I think that is where my problem starts. I see the potential in everyday items and it is sometimes hard for me to throw them away.

Are you the same?

If you are, then I have a easy, cheap and fast DIY project for you to try this weekend. You may already have all the supplies in your craft stash. I did...

Fancy Magnetic Letters

Supplies:
Plastic Magnetic Letters
Spray Paint (any color will do)
Old Cardboard Box


Now if you don't have magnetic letters, the dollar store will most likely have some in the toy area. You don't want to spend a ton of money on these, get the cheap ones if you don't already have some. You may also be able to find these at the local thrift store. Some people don't know what treasures they have, and just give them away.

In an old cardboard box, line up your plastic letters, pretty side up. Take can of spray paint and shake well. Using tiny little sprays, cover the letters. Don't do it fast and hard, they are plastic and will fly away with the pressure of the spray can. Do two to three coats of fine spray.

I used gold paint because that is what I had and thought they might look fancy then... I did three coats and it covered the top and sides with each coat. Once they are completely dry, use them on your fridge, metal doors, dishwasher fronts, anywhere metal.

I have a metal door that leads into the garage that I painted with dry erase paint. You can read about that project here. They mix in nicely with whatever you want to write with the dry erase markers. There have been various quotes left every day. You never quite know what is going to be on the back door anymore, and that makes it fun for the whole family. My kids friends almost always leave a note in marker, or with the magnetic letters if they have all the letters for what they are trying to write. 

The funny part to me is that I had these letters in my house already. I have had a stainless steel refrigerator for the past 10 years that isn't magnetic on the front, and have never used the sides of the fridge for these letters. I seriously don't know why I have them or even where they came from. Isn't that part of the definition of a hoarder...oh well, just means it's time to start using up my craft hoard on projects.

Do you have a craft hoard? Do you use up what you have on hand or just keep buying more? How do you organize your supplies?



I am sharing this post with all of these lovely bloggers.


3 comments:

  1. I love these...definitelly making these for my frig!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha.... true. I keep thinking I might need this or that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant! Those plastic letter are beautiful now. Thanks for sharing at Inspire Us Thursday on Organized 31.

    ReplyDelete