Monday, July 22, 2013

Tired of S'mores? Try out Banana Boats (Camping Recipe over the Fire)


Tired of S'mores? I kind of am too, they are good, don't get me wrong, but they are so sweet, and lets face it, I would rather just eat the Hershey bar plain.

We tried out some new recipes on our last camping trip over the 4th of July. I wanted something other than S'mores and Cracker Jacks for a dessert, so we did Banana Boats.

I remember having these back in Girl Scout camp, and they are as yummy as I remembered!



Banana Boats


Ingredients:

Yellow Bananas (1 per person)
Chocolate Chips
Mini Marshmallows
Tin Foil

Take one banana per person and slit the banana length wise across the top with a plastic knife. You just want to slit the peel and get about 3/4 of the way into the banana, not cut the whole thing in half. Use your knife to wiggle the banana open a little. Lay the banana in two sheets of tin foil and start to fill the banana. Stuff it full of marshmallows and chocolate chips. Really cram them in there. Wrap the tin foil around the banana once it is full. I made the ends curl up so that I knew which way was up with the banana.

We cooked ours over a tri-pod grill, you can use the grill attached to the fire ring if your campground has them, or you can lay them in the hot coals if you have no grill. You are not cooking the bananas, only getting them toasty warm. On the tri-pod, they took about 10 minutes to warm up. In the coals they should be about half that time. The banana peels should protect everything from being burned.

Take the bananas off the fire with long tongs. Have an adult open the tin foil, as they may be very hot and melted chocolate will hurt kids skin. Eat your Banana Boat right out of the tin foil with a plastic spoon. Clean up is a breeze, make sure everything is inside the tin foil, scrunch up and toss in the garbage. Cleaning the chocolate off little ones faces might be a little harder than the dishes...


Be sure to check out all my camping recipes and posts here. 



 I am sharing this post with all of these lovely bloggers.

5 comments:

  1. This recipe brings back great family memories, we always made banana boats in the camp fire on our family camping trips. Super Fun and Yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a fun thing my kids like to do when we camp too and for the adults a little baileys added to it is nice too.

    Lisa

    Creative Raisins

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love for you to share and link up at my weekly TGIF Link Party if you haven't already this week. Your favorite posts, most popular, recent or new! The party is open every Thursday night and closes Wednesday's at midnight. Followed by (Not SO) Wordless Wednesday! http://apeekintomyparadise.blogspot.com/.
    I would be honored if you join us and follow to stay connected Have a wonderful week!
    Hugs, Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi :) I’d love for you to come by and share this delicious recipe at my Saturday Spotlight Link Party, my readers would love it. Hope to see you there!

    April

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally remember these from Girl Scout camp! Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week!

    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick
    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete