"" Grandma Agnes' Attic: Camping Recipe - Curly Dogs (Over the Fire)

Friday, July 12, 2013

Camping Recipe - Curly Dogs (Over the Fire)

Our last camping trip I decided to try out a few new recipes that I knew we could handle. I will be posting most of them right here. And my new favorite item that I packed in the camper was this Valentine's Day tray. I could put everything for the meal right on the tray and carry it out to the fire. So much easier than making three trips!



For the first recipe we did Curly Dogs!

Curly Dogs


Ingredients:
Hot Dogs (regular sized recommended)
Croissants (2 triangles per dog)
Weenie Sticks
Optional:
Ketchup
Mustard

We also had hot dog buns as the little guy was afraid to try them, he saw us eating them and changed his mind pretty quickly though :) We also served baked beans as a side dish with them.

Take your raw hot dog, place it on your weenie fork. Open the Croissants, separate the triangles. Take two triangles and wrap the hot dog with them. Start with the fat end and put the flat side facing the end of the hot dog. They don't have to be wrapped pretty, they just need to stay put while cooking them.

Take your wrapped hot dog to the fire. Try to cook the back side first by putting the hot dog through the fire and cooking the back. Flip to get the rest of the back. When nice and brown, bring the hot dog towards you to cook the front of the dog, flip to get the underside.

When fully cooked and brown, remove to plate. Eat with fingers or silverware. Serve with ketchup and mustard and baked beans on the side.




We used bun length hot dogs, and they tended to droop in the middle. I would recommend using regular sized hot dogs to avoid this. We will be trying this again, and will use regular sized hot dogs too. The baked beans were cooked in a pot over the fire with our new tripod grill.These can easily be made in a backyard bon fire or even the fireplace in the winter time. Easy, fast and inexpensive. Everybody thought they tasted like grown up pigs-in-a-blanket. Yummy! Be sure to check back for more Camping Recipes.



 I am sharing this post with all of these lovely bloggers.






6 comments:

  1. What a fun way to eat hot dogs! We'll have to give it a try on our next trip! Would love to have you as a regular "linker" at my weekly Tuesday To Do Party! http://blackberryvine.blogspot.com/2013/07/tuesday-to-do-121-and-120-list-makers.html
    Smiles!!!
    Jami
    The Blackberry Vine
    www.blackberryvine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome. I so love camping. Trying to get someone to go with me. :) linda www.craftsalamode.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. how fun! We love camping... I'm going to be posting several campfire recipes on Monday... In fact I thought from the name of this post that our hot dog ideas might be the same :o) But, yours is different. emily @ nap-timecreations

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a camping fan, but am a cook out fan (and a big croissant fan). Going to be giving this a try for sure. Thanks for sharing at Inspire Us Thursday at Organized 31.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those look so yummy!! We finally broke down and bought our first set of camping gear the other day!! I am going to gave to give this recipe a try when we get out to use it. Thanks so much for sharing at Thursday's Temptation. I am going to be featuring your recipe at tonights link party!
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never heard of curly dogs, but I have heard of crescent wrapped hot dogs. I had to come check it out. Love the name! These are the perfect recipe for camping for sure!

    ReplyDelete