"" Grandma Agnes' Attic: A Hard Story about my Grandmother's Neighborhood

Monday, June 17, 2013

A Hard Story about my Grandmother's Neighborhood

Story Headline from the Huffington Post:

Michael Karkoc Revelations: Nazi Unit Leader's Minneapolis Life Prompts Shock

"The revelation Friday that a former commander of a Nazi SS-led military unit has lived quietly in Minneapolis for the past six decades came as a shock to people who knew him, prompted harsh condemnations from World War II survivors in the U.S. and Europe, and led prosecutors in Poland to say they would investigate."



Horribly story right. I was sitting at home Saturday night with two of the kids watching the 10:00 news. I had heard about this story, thought is was shocking, and didn't think much more about it. But watching the news, they showed the house that he had been living in. Hmm, I thought. That house looks familiar. Hmm. I thought about it for a minute, I then pressed rewind on the TV and paused it when they showed the house. They showed the address, hmm. Yup, right next door in the video they were showing on the news is my Grandmother's house!

If you have read my blog at all, you know that it is dedicated to her house and more specifically, her attic. It was quite a shock to see her house, even if just the side, on the local news. The part that my family is trying to figure out is how long he had lived in that house. My mother remembers a different neighbor living there through her youth and early marriage. I am just curious if he was living there while my Grandmother was still alive, or if he moved in afterwards.

Brings back alot of memories looking at this picture: playing on that driveway, sitting on the railing of the back porch, and the garage at the back was loaded behind it with raspberry bushes that we would eat right off the bush, bugs and all. The bushes alongside the driveway were her rose bushes, and behind the porch was a circle of daisy's that we would dye with food coloring. My cousin's and I spent hours pushing each other in wheelbarrows and tricycles up and down that driveway.

Just kind of scary and sad that this happened in this neighborhood. I had been thinking about my Grandmother all day Saturday already. I was cleaning out a drawer in my bedroom and found her wedding pictures. It is weird how thinking about her all day and then ending the day seeing a picture of her house. I will post the wedding pictures at a later date as they are too beautiful not to share.



No comments:

Post a Comment